Reading & Phonics
Find out more about our approach to Reading and Phonics at Westlea Primary School.
We aim for excellence in English achievement throughout the school. Children follow an integrated programme called Read, Write Inc in KS1 and Literacy & Language in KS2. This teaches the 3 core areas of Reading, Writing and Speaking & Listening. The skills are then applied throughout the Challenge Curriculum, where children are given opportunities to consolidate their use, knowledge and understanding of spoken and written English.
By the end of Year 6 pupils will:
- read and write with confidence, fluency and understanding, using a range of independent strategies to take responsibility for their own learning,
- write in a variety of styles and forms appropriate to the situation using their developing creativity, and imagination.
- understand a range of text types, media types and genres and apply critical evaluation to them
- develop a growing vocabulary to eloquently put forward their point of view in any discussion
- foster a lifelong love of reading.
Click here to see the end of year outcomes for Writing
Statutory Interim Frameworks
Is your child in Year 2 or Year 6? See the links below to read the statutory interim frameworks published by the government to support teachers in making an assessment judgement at the end of KS1 and KS2:
Pre-KS1 (Children working below the KS1 standard)
Pre-Key stage 1: pupils working below the test standard
Key Stage 1 – Interim Frameworks
Pre-KS2 (Children working below the KS2 standard)
Pre-Key Stage 2: pupils working below the test standard